Blessings to add to your hongbaos this Chinese New Year
Salt&Light wishes all Chinese readers a Blessed Lunar New Year!
Fong Yihui // January 27, 2022, 5:55 pm
Here's how to include meaningful blessings to your hongbaos for friends and loved ones this Lunar New Year. Illustration by Nicole Chan.
Once again we find ourselves celebrating the Lunar New Year with reunions over video calls and small-group visits due to continuing Covid-19 restrictions.
However, what has not changed is the giving of red packets. Giving ang baos, or hongbaos, is an opportunity to express love and blessing to family members and friends, and appreciation to the hawker aunty, petrol station attendant, refuse collector and postman, even if they are not of Chinese ethnicity.
Unable to get red packets with scriptural blessings from your church? Or need help with blessings to include with your digital hongbaos?
Salt&Light asked three pastors who preach in Mandarin for meaningful words to bless the different people in your life. Here are their suggestions for blessings you can write on your hongbaos:
For elders and parents
- Wishing you a blessed New Year! May God watch over you and grant you good health and strength to experience His power and love in the new year.
- Happy New Year! May God bestow His wonderful love and special grace upon you.
- Wishing you a blessed New Year! May you experience the rich and wonderful moments God has prepared for you in your golden years.
For children and youth
- Happy New Year! May you grow more grounded in the Lord and know more about His plan for your life.
- May you excel in your studies and receive God’s overflowing grace!
- Wishing you a bright future and God’s blessings year after year.
- In the new year, I wish you the favour of God in both academic performance and your learning attitude, to glorify His name!新的一年，祝你在学业成绩或是学习态度都取得神喜悦，荣耀神的名！
- Wishing you a Happy New Year with God’s special care and grace in your family, work and personal life!
- Wishing you a Happy New Year, and may God’s grace and mercy be with you!
- Happy New Year! May you have a year of grace and blessing, with God’s guidance and care in the workplace.
- May all your wishes come true, and may your cup and God’s grace overflow.
- In this New Year, may you be blessed and find bountiful grace in your work!
- Happy New Year, may God bless everything you do. And the Lord will make you the head and not the tail, and you shall only go up and not down, if you obey the commandments of the Lord your God. (Deuteronomy 28:13)
The blessings were contributed by:
- Ps Alvin Ong, Assistant Pastor, Mandarin at Hope Church Singapore
- Ps Ng Hua Ken, Lead Pastor, Mandarin Worship at Bethesda (Bedok-Tampines) Church
- Rev Dr Chern Hock Chye, Senior Pastor at Renewal Christian Church.
Have a Blessed New Year with your loved ones near and far!
We are an independent, non-profit organisation that relies on the generosity of our readers, such as yourself, to continue serving the kingdom. Every dollar donated goes directly back into our editorial coverage.
Would you consider partnering with us in our kingdom work by supporting us financially, either as a one-off donation, or a recurring pledge?Support Salt&Light