Greetings you can use this Chinese New Year that share the blessings of God
Salt&Light wishes all Chinese readers a Blessed Lunar New Year!
by Christine Leow // February 7, 2024, 8:17 pm
Here are meaningful Chinese New Year greetings Christians can use to bless others this festive season. Photo by RDNE Stock project:
It’s the Lunar New Year! You visit a home, you encounter a friend on the streets, you meet a colleague, and you want to wish them well during this festive season.
But every Chinese New Year greeting you know seems somehow too worldly. For instance:
- 恭喜发财 “May you be happy and prosperous.” But we know that true joy is found in the presence of God. (1 Thessalonians 3:9)
- 财源广进 “May you have much wealth and treasures.” But we are admonished not to pursue wealth. (Proverbs 23:4)
- 心想事成 “May you have all your heart desires.” But our hearts are deceitful and we should seek God first. (Jeremiah 17:9-10 and Matthew 6:33)
Then there is the tricky issue of this being the Year of the Dragon. The mythical creature is a Chinese symbol of power. 龙马精神 “May you have the spirit of the dragon and the horse.” But the dragon is a symbol of rebellion in the Bible. (Revelation 12:3)
To have a way to still greet our family and friends warmly this Chinese New Year, Salt&Light consulted pastors for a Christian spin to traditional greetings.
For the new year
- 忘记背后辞旧岁, 努力面前迎新春
Let us forget the year that has passed and work towards welcoming the new year. (Philippians 3:13)
Live godly lives, hold to the truth.
Love one another and live in peace with each other. (1 Peter 3:8, Titus 2:12-13)
May your new year be filled with God’s grace and blessing.
Blessed new year!
For an abundant life
May you receive God’s abundant blessings and may your cup run over.
With God, your life will be as bright and fragrant as a sunflower.
It is God who provides abundantly out of His grace.
May all in your household experience God’s joy.
For good health (especially for the elderly)
Have a Happy New Year. May your body and soul be well, and God’s love be with you.
- 祝您 新春蒙恩, 身心健康
May your new year be filled with God’s grace and may you be healthy in body and soul.
May God bless you with a long life.
- 祝您 在新的一年, 主恩足够用, 怎样的日子, 怎样的力量
In this new year, May God’s grace upon you be abundant. May you enjoy strength all your days.
These blessings were contributed by
- Ps Chris Ho, Associate Vicar, Church of Our Saviour
- Rev Chua Ooi Suah, Associate Pastor, Yishun Methodist Church
- Ps Elaine Chua, Pastor In Charge (Chinese Church), Living Sanctuary Brethren Church
- Rev Charis Ong, Senior Pastor & Founder, Fruitful Vine Church
We are an independent, non-profit organisation that relies on the generosity of our readers, such as yourself, to continue serving the kingdom. Every dollar donated goes directly back into our editorial coverage.
Would you consider partnering with us in our kingdom work by supporting us financially, either as a one-off donation, or a recurring pledge?Support Salt&Light