Day 40: Nation-builders’ day
A LoveSingapore 40.Day prayer and fast devotional, following 2021's theme of From the Ground Up: A Prayer Journey Through the Book of Nehemiah.
LoveSingapore // August 9, 2021, 12:01 am
Bible reading for 40.DAY 2021 | 1 Timothy 2:1–2
First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. (1 Timothy 2:1-2)
1. On this 56th National Day, acknowledge God. Give thanks: For Singapore and all who love Singapore. For all who regard this nation as home truly, worthy of civility and godly patriotism. For our founding fathers who laid solid foundations. For the Church, building from the knees up, proclaiming Good News, and doing good works. For everyone in every generation that seeks the shalom of our city.
2. In this pandemic, thank God especially for young people who sincerely care about Singapore’s future. For Millennials who seek God on her behalf and pray for her with perspective and discernment. Below are the stirrings of their hearts. Ponder and pray:
- May we not take our unique democracy for granted. May we never allow Singapore to descend into chaos like some countries where elections are a sham, marred by deception, division, and distrust. As Christians, may we be God-fearing and vote responsibly. May we do our due diligence by scrutinising each party’s manifesto and motives. May we appreciate Prime Minister for appointing a Leader of the Opposition in Parliament in response to GE2020 results which showed a clear desire for a diversity of voices in Parliament (The Straits Times, July 28, 2020). May all queries, ideas, and contributions be taken seriously and debated robustly. May mutual respect, truth, and wisdom prevail.
- May there be a stronger representation of minorities, without coming across as contrived or merely out of obligation. Rather, may it be a natural outcome of minorities stepping up and and taking ownership of nation-building, with vision, passion, and a deep sense of duty.
- May politics no longer be a dirty word. May Singapore never lack competent leaders in the political arena. May aspiring leaders learn to first lay down their lives and humbly serve from the ground up. May God protect us from wolves in sheep’s clothing who seek political office for personal agenda or vain glory. May our next Prime Minister be a person of integrity. One who is proven, humble, selfless, mature, courageous, discerning, and wise, leading Singapore forward through unchartered waters. May Singapore’s leadership renewal and succession process be a model worthy of emulation by the rest of the world.
- May our Government remain corruption-free. Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people (Proverbs 14:34, NKJV). May all our Ministers exhibit impeccable character and keep all their actions above board.
- May our Government always be sensitive to the ground and the needs of the ordinary person. May they always respond humbly, with listening ears and compassionate hearts. May they do justly and love mercy, always mindful of the least among us. May they continually review and improve social policies to foster equal opportunity for all, making sure no one falls through the cracks, and no one is left behind.
- May our Government reimagine Singapore’s economic future with great insight and foresight. May they remain ever vigilant and agile, adjusting existing policies and designing new solutions that empower Singapore to thrive in these changing times.
- May our Government tackle every challenge with confidence, always doing the right thing in the right way and for all the right reasons. May they never pander to populism, never fear rejection or backlash for doing what is right and best for Singapore.
- May our Government wisely conduct our foreign affairs in such a time when international diplomacy is touchy and complicated. May our Ministers, ambassadors, and diplomats enjoy favour on the international stage. May they sharply discern any hidden motives and agenda behind the words and actions of superpowers that court us.
- May foreign investors continue to have confidence in Singapore as a great place to do business because of our political stability and consistent policies. May God stir the heart of our Government to increase practical assistance to nations in crisis, sharing best practices, and helping less fortunate neighbours succeed in their own nation-building efforts.
- May God give our Government great favour with Singaporeans, especially the younger generation. May we passionately cooperate with their nation-building efforts: When our Government highlights the issue of ageing population, may we model charity at home. May we pay attention to our ageing parents and honour them as commanded in the Word (Exodus 20:12). May we prepare them mentally, emotionally, physically, financially, and spiritually for their golden years, so that they can flourish in old age. May we be good neighbours and look out for seniors in our blocks, especially the elderly poor who live alone. May we work with our MPs to care for these, not in random touch-and-go fashion, but through whole-of-church support and on-going volunteerism. When our Government highlights declining birth rates and promotes a Singapore Made for Families, may we not take it lightly. May corporations heed the call and support the initiative with family-friendly policies. May young couples, especially Christians, choose to be fruitful and multiply as commanded by our Creator (Genesis 1:28). May the Singapore Church honour God by supporting this nation-building priority.
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace. (Numbers 6:24-26)
On this National Day, be God’s mouthpiece to bless all in authority:
- Madam Halimah Yacob | President
- Mr Lee Hsien Loong | Prime Minister
- Mr Heng Swee Keat | Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for Economic Policies
- Mr Teo Chee Hean | Senior Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security
- Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam | Senior Minister and Coordinating Minister for Social Policies
- Dr Ng Eng Hen | Minister for Defence
- Dr Vivian Balakrishnan | Minister for Foreign Affairs
- Mr K Shanmugam | Minister for Home Affairs and Minister for Law
- Mr Gan Kim Yong | Minister for Trade and Industry
- Mr S Iswaran | Minister for Transport
- Ms Grace Fu Hai Yien | Minister for Sustainability and the Environment
- Mr Chan Chun Sing | Minister for Education
- Mr Lawrence Wong | Minister for Finance
- Mr Masagos Zulkifli | Minister for Social and Family Development and Second Minister for Health
- Mr Ong Ye Kung | Minister for Health
- MrDesmond Lee | Minister for National Development
- Mrs Josephine Teo | Minister for Communications and Information and Second Minister for Home Affairs
- Ms Indranee Thurai Rajah | Minister, Prime Minister’s Office, Second Minister for Finance and Second Minister for National Development
- Dr Mohamad Maliki Bin Osman | Minister, Prime Minister’s Office, Second Minister for Education and Second Minister for Foreign Affairs
- Mr Edwin Tong | Minister for Culture, Community and Youth and Second Minister for Law
- Dr Tan See Leng | Minister for Manpower and Second Minister for Trade and Industry
Pray the Word
For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk in integrity, guarding the paths of justice and watching over the way of His saints. Then you will understand righteousness and justice and equity, every good path; for wisdom will come into your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul; discretion will watch over you, understanding will guard you, delivering you from the way of evil, from men of perverted speech, who forsake the paths of uprightness to walk in the ways of darkness, who rejoice in doing evil and delight in the perverseness of evil, men whose paths are crooked, and who are devious in their ways. (Proverbs 2:6-15)
The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He will. (Proverbs 21:1)
Counsel and sound judgment are mine; I have insight, I have power. By Me kings reign and rulers issue decrees that are just; by Me princes govern, and nobles – all who rule on earth. (Proverbs 8:14-16)
We are an independent, non-profit organisation that relies on the generosity of our readers, such as yourself, to continue serving the kingdom. Every dollar donated goes directly back into our editorial coverage.
Would you consider partnering with us in our kingdom work by supporting us financially, either as a one-off donation, or a recurring pledge?Support Salt&Light